A Leopard Can’t Change Her Spots Any More Than This Piano Can Change Its Legs
The following commentary expresses the political views of the author and in no way represents the views of LPL Financial.
As 2016 approaches and the end of the Obama reign is sifting slowing through the hour glass, what is the political landscape for our next presidential election? Certainly even with her latest scandal related to security-sensitive emails sent on an authorized account, Hillary Clinton will be the Dem front-runner. Lest we forget, her history of obfuscation, secrecy; intimidation to those who question, and outright misleading of investigators has been her “M.O.” since she was fired at age 27 when she was a staff attorney for the Watergate investigation. According to Jerry Zeifman, a lifelong Dem and her supervisor “If I had the power to fire her, I would have fired her….” (1)
Let's review some of the infamous scandals that have followed her and Bill dating back to the Arkansas Clinton’s gubernatorial years and of which the severity of transgression has transitioned from run of the day "pay for influence" to possible cover-up after the deaths of brave men in Benghazi. Here are a few examples of “The Clinton Way’:
1. Whitewater-The first of many irregularities. Whitewater was a fraudulent land deal claimed by many to have been masterminded by Hillary Clinton, and her former law partner, Jim McDougal while Bill Clinton was governor. McDougal ended up taking the fall and serving prison time and died mysteriously in prison. His wife Susan also served 18 months for contempt of court for refusing to answer any questions regarding Whitewater and was pardoned by President Bill Clinton just before his leaving office.(2) How convenient.
2. Travel-gate-In 1993. Hillary had the head of the White House Travel Office, Billy Dale, fired on what turned out to be trumped-up claims of tax irregularities. Clinton then put Hollywood friends, Harry and Susan Thomas, in the position and they enjoyed the profits of running a governmental travel office with no competition. Dale was later cleared and others were returned to their jobs, but not after Dale’s life was ruined. (2)
3. Filegate-Almost J. Edgar Hoover in nature. 1996’s Filegate was an off-shoot of the investigation of Travelgate. More than 900 FBI background files were improperly ordered by a former bar bouncer, Craig Livingston whom Clinton hired to work in the White House Counsel’s office. The files were said to be of White House employees from Republican administrations including top advisors. (2)(5)
4. Benghazi. We all witnessed the venom she elicits as she was questioned by a congressional hearing early in 2013. Defensive while yet being on the attack is a tactic she has employed to intimidate. We seem to be getting nowhere with this investigation as stalling by both the State Department and the former Secretary of State seems to have stemmed the tide.
5. Use of an unclassified email account. So many questions and no answers. Who set up this account? What level of cybersecurity was it insulated with? Since her email account was widely known to email@example.com, how hard would it have been for expert Chinese hackers to find her password? Since it seems she used this account for every email she sent and received, who has read what classified information? Since she’s in possession of all the emails and the server, what will she provide the investigation? Need I ask any more rhetorical questions?
I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but when it comes to Vince Foster and the Clinton’s. Hillary and Foster were best of friends and colleagues. They were partners in Rose Law firm together and he was one of the few men in her inner circle. He became the Deputy Chief Counsel of the White House in 1993 and seemed to be in the middle of cleaning up a lot of messes. He was to the Clinton’s what Harvey Keitel’s character, Winston Wolfe, was to “Pulp Fiction.”
He was a plumber, a cleaner…a person who made things disappear. Whether it was the collapse of Madison Guaranty, a bank that allegedly gave money illegally to Bill Clinton’s campaign for governor in ‘80’s while the Clinton’s intervened on the bank’s behalf with regulators as the bank failed. Whether it Whitewater or Travelgate, Foster was always there to clean up the messes. His suicide in 1993 caused many to question what he knew or did he know too much? He wrote once “I was not meant for the job in the spotlight of public life in Washington. Here, ruining people is considered sport.”(3) His suicide note was torn into 28 pieces and with only 27 being found in his briefcase. And in the Clinton way of doing business, those pieces were held by the White House for 30 hours before being turned over to investigators.(6)
A Hillary Clinton Presidential Administration would be one shrouded in secrecy. Besides Benghazi and the current email scandal where she claims ignorance and leaves many more questions than answers, don’t forget that one of our first introductions to Clinton was in 1993 when newly-inaugurated President Bill Clinton chose Hillary to head his administration’s most important domestic initiative, health care reform. (4) From the beginning, she was obsessed with secrecy of who served on task force and what their initiatives were. Ultimately, her leadership on this task force was one of the major reasons we went another 20 years before there was healthcare reform.
A Hillary Clinton administration will have the transparency of North Korea and the honest communication of the Kremlin. Like other Progressives before him, President Obama believes that Constitutional law is merely a suggestion and that "The Cause" supersedes. Clinton is simply lawless. Not only is Constitutional law vague to her, but laws in general are opaque for someone of her stature. Don’t believe me…..just look at those spots.
(1) “Zeifgeist.” Snopes.com http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/zeifman.asp (2) “Proof Hillary Isn’t Fit to be President.” Larry Klayman. Wnd.com 1/25/2013. http://mobile.wnd.com/2013/01/proof-hillary-isnt-fit-to-be-president/ (3) “The man who knew too much? The truth about the dealth of Hillary Clinton’s close friend Vince Foster.” Sally Bedell Smith. www.dailymail.com 1/15/2008. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-508210/The-man-knew-The-truth-death-Hillary-Clintons-close-friend-Vince-Foster.html (4) “History lesson: President Hillary Clinton would be secretive, too.” Byron York. www.washingtonexaminer.com. 3/5/2015. http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/history-lesson-president-hillary-clinton-would-be-secretive-too/article/2561137 (5) “White House FBI files controversy.” Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_FBI_files_controversy (6) “Suicide of Vince Foster.” Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Vince_Foster